Thursday, July 1, 2010

Am I Willing to Receive Instruction?

So many times, when receiving instruction, correction, I find something inside me rising up to want to defend my place.
"Well, I did my best." "My motives were to help." "Why can't they see I am trying?" Etc... Especially in relationships...To the conscientious person, sometimes correction can be hard to receive, because these kinds of people have already taken extra precautions to not make a mistake. When they hear their performance did not meet the mark, it can be crushing. BUT this is pride. I am learning to receive correction more willingly. Here is what I found this morning to encourage me. I will share it with you.

Psalm 94:12
Blessed is the man whom You instruct, O Lord. And teach out of Your law, That you may give him rest from the days of adversity.

When I realized "Why" God instructs me, it made me happy. He instructs me to keep me from having a train wreck "that you may give him rest from the days of adversity." And for people who have my best interests in mind, this is "WHY" they instruct me as well. After all, it would be easier for them to say nothing at all.

So Today, I want to see instruction the right way. Not as a personal attack, but as an opportunity to be protected.

Proverbs says, "A fool has no delight in understanding, but in expressing his own heart." (Pr. 18:2).

If I delight to understand and grow, I will shut my mouth and receive correction..But if I choose to act foolish, I will open my mouth to defend and "express my own heart".

Lord, help me to be humble enough to receive your Life GIving Instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment